Self Defence Courses
Upcoming Courses – 2022
- Cost: FREE
- All classes run: 5.20 pm to 7.00 pm in N35
- Participants: Limited to 20 students per course date
Intro to self-defence course dates:
- Thursday 4th August – Awareness & Defending – Register here!
- Thursday, 8th Sept 2022 – Female Self Defence (open to all female-identifying students)
- Thursday, 22nd Sept 2022 – Defending Multiple attackers
- Thursday, 6th Oct 2022 – Self Defence on Public Transport
Intermediate to advanced self-defence course dates:
- Thursday, 11 August – Timing vs Speed – Register here!
- Thursday, 29th Sept – Combo strikes
(Terms and Conditions: You must be a current Griffith University Undergraduate or Postgraduate student at a Brisbane or Online Campus are eligible).
Intro to self-defence course information
- Week 1: Awareness & Defending – Register here!
Thursday, 4th August
This workshop will be instructed by Practical Wing Chun (PWC) Australia and will leave participants empowered to predict, identify and avoid violence by de-escalating situations. Participants will also learn how to counter common forms of attack and assaults.
- Week 2: Female Self Defence
Thursday, 8th Sept
Workshop topics will include recognising common types of attacks women face and how to defend against them, simple techniques for optimum results toward a threat and awareness and prevention.
- Week 3: Defending Multiple attackers
Thursday, 22nd Sept
This workshop will focus on using physical structure and strategies against multiple attackers in an outnumbered situation and awareness, prevention and de-escalation skills.
- Week 4: Self Defence on Public Transport
Thursday, 6th Oct
The workshop aims to introduce students to an array of subjects that concern their personal safety on public transport, including buses, taxis & trains. Using Practical Wing Chun’s concept you should be empowered to predict, identify and avoid violence and as a last resort, you should be able to understand how to counter the most common types of attacks in a confined space.
Intermediate to advanced self-defence course information
- Advance Class 1 – Timing vs Speed – Register here!
Thursday, 11th August
This workshop will work on the best timing to defend in a self-defence situation. The concept of block and strike simultaneously, using timing for participants’ advantage over speed.
- Advance Class 2 – Combo strikes
Thursday, 29th Sept
The workshop will incorporate upper body strikes with lower body techniques ( knees for mid-range and kicks for long-range) in a self-defence scenario. Participants will learn how to generate power and execute at the right timing.