Introducing the Committee for 2014
GUPSA has a new committee following the AGM last night (13 March 2014). For the first time, in several years, elections were required for five positions, where more than one nomination was received. The new committee members are listed below. We will be bringing you more details about them soon but this post will serve as a quick introduction, listing the positions and the people elected to them
- President – Niels Kraaier
- Vice President (Research) – Md. Zahirul Islam
- Vice President (Coursework) – Jason McNeil
- Treasurer – Mohammad Kadir
- Honours Students Officer – Pandya Yash Jayeshkumar
- International Students Officer – Nayeth Solorzano Alcivar and Katrine Sonnenschein jointly
- Queer Students Officer – Samad Naushahi and John Heussler
- Nathan Campus Coordinator – Eduardo Jordan Pérez and Shanuka Senarath
- Logan Campus Coordinator – Tanvir Ahmed
- Mt Gravatt Campus Coordinator – Mahbuba Sani
- Queensland Conservatorium of Music Coordinator – Jo Ruksenas and Emma Di Marco
- Queensland College of Art Coordinator – Darren Fisher and Nikesh Kumar
Unfortunately no nominations were received for the Indigenous Students Officer; however, the GUPSA constitution allows the committee to make appointments to fill vacancies so we will do all we can to get the position filled. Any Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander students interested in taking on the role please don’t hesitate to contact us.
We also farewell and thank 2013 committee members, Min Jun Kim, Treasurer, Lynden Stone and Sara Manser, Qld College of Art Coordinator, Paul Jung, Qld Conservatorium Coordinator, and Mohammad Hayat, Honours Students Officer. Both Lynden and Paul have finished their studies at Griffith and are moving on. Mohammad has suspended his studies temporarily, while Min and Sara will be devoting themselves more fully to their studies this year. We also acknowledge and thank Rumaisa Bilal, Jonathan Fabila, and Josette Niyomwungere who were elected to the committee last year but finished their studies during 2013 and left the committee at that time.
Stay tuned for more information on the new committee and GUPSA’s plans for 2014.